Thomas, Heath A|
Adjunctive Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew
Discipline: Old Testament
Area: Biblical Studies
Teaching Since: 2007
Click here to view this professor's Curriculum Vitae
B.A., English Literature, Oklahoma Baptist University
Additional Studies: University of Oxford, under supervision of Dr. Paul Joyce, St. Peter’s College (2004-2007)
M.A., Theology, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Ph.D. Old Testament, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
My passion is illumining the world of the Bible, especially the Old Testament, so that others might experience the drama of the Scriptures. I employ various methods to achieve this end—teaching, presenting, and publishing. Further, I aim to pursue excellence and develop both as a teacher and scholar of the Old Testament through active participation in the academy
Craig Bartholomew and Michael Goheen. The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005.
J. G. McConville. God and Earthly Power: An Old Testament Political Theology. London: T & T Clark, 2008.
A. G. Sertillanges. The Intellectual Life. Washington, DC: Catholic University Press of America, 1998
|Favorite Quotes, Movies, Books|
"Qui cessat esse melior cessat esse bonus." (‘He who ceases to be better, ceases to be good’)
Good books: The fiction of Paulo Coelho and Umberto Eco
Music: Everything Absent or Distorted; Franz Ferdinand
- Until He Looks Down and Sees: The Message and Meaning of the Book of Lamentations. Grove Biblical Studies. 53. Cambridge, UK: Grove Publishers, 2009.
- Poetry & Theology in Lamentations: The Aesthetics of an Open Text. Hebrew Bible Monographs. Sheffield, UK: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2013
- Habakkuk: A Commentary. Two Horizons Old Testament Commentary Series. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans. (Under contract, submitted to editors)
- The Old Testament Minor Prophets: A Theological Introduction. Downers Grove: IVP Academic. (co-authored with Craig G. Bartholomew. Under contract, submission 2014)
- The Gospel and Mission: Connecting the Cultural Mandate to the Great Commission. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic (co-authored with Bruce R. Ashford. Under contract, submission 2014).
- Heath Thomas and Robin Parry (eds.) Great is Thy Faithfulness? Toward Reading Lamentations as Sacred Scripture. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2011.
- Heath Thomas, Paul Copan, and Jeremy Evans (eds.) Holy War in the Bible: Christian Morality and an Old Testament Problem. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- Heath Thomas and Craig G. Bartholomew (eds.) A Manifesto for Theological Interpretation. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic. (Under Contract, Submission 2014).
- "A Survey of Research on Lamentations (2002-2012)." Currents in Biblical Research 12.1 (2013):8-38.
- “The Meaning of zolela One More Time.” Vetus Testamentum 61.3(2011): 489-98.
- “Building House to House (Isa 5:8): Theological Reflection on Land Development and Creation Care.” Bulletin for Biblical Research 21.2(2011): 205-28.
- “Relating Prayer and Pain: Psychological Analysis and Lamentations Research.” Tyndale Bulletin 61.2(2010): 183-208.
- “Current Research in the Book of Lamentations (2002—2012).” Currents in Biblical Research (invited article, submitted to editors).
- “Hearing the Minor Prophets: The Book of the Twelve and God’s Address.” Pages 356-82. In Hearing the Old Testament: Listening for God’s Address. Edited by Craig Bartholomew and David Beldman. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012.
- "Life & Death in Deuteronomy.” In Interpreting Deuteronomy: Issues and Approaches. Pages 177-193. Edited by Philip Johnston and David Firth. Nottingham, UK: Apollos / Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2012.
- “I Will Hope in Him: Theology and Hope in Lamentations.” Pages 203-21. In A God of Faithfulness: Essays in Honour of J. Gordon McConville on His 60th Birthday. Edited by G. J. Wenham, J. Grant, and A. Lo. Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. 538. London: T & T Clark, 2011.
- Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. “Introduction.” Pages xi-xiv. In Great is Thy Faithfulness? Edited by Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “Holy Scripture and Hermeneutics.” Pages 1-25. In Great is Thy Faithfulness? Edited by Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “Lamentations in the Patristic Period.” Pages 113-19. In Great is Thy Faithfulness? Edited by Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “Reception of Lamentations in Rembrandt van Rijn: ‘Jeremiah Lamenting the Destruction of Jerusalem’.” Pages 154-60. In Great is Thy Faithfulness? Edited by Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “Feminist Interpretation(s) and Lamentations.” Pages 166-74. In Great is Thy Faithfulness? Edited by Heath Thomas and Robin Parry. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “Justice at the Crossroads: The Book of Lamentations and Feminist Discourse.” Pages 246-73. In Tamar's Tears: Evangelical Engagement with Feminist OT Hermeneutics. Edited by Andrew Sloane. Eugene, OR: Pickwick Press, 2011.
- “The Liturgical Function of the Book of Lamentations.” Pages 137-47. In Thinking Towards New Horizons. Collected Communications to the XIXth Congress of the International Organization for the Study of the Old Testament, Ljubljana 2007. Edited by Matthias Augustin and Hermann Michael Niemann. Beiträge zur Erforschung des alten Testaments und des antiken Judentums. 55. Frankfurt am Main: Lang Verlag, 2008.
- “Life & Death in Deuteronomy.” In Interpreting Deuteronomy. Edited by Philip Johnston and David Firth. Downers Grove: IVP Academic. (submitted to editors)
- “A Neglected Witness to Holy War in the Writings.” In Old Testament Holy War & Christian Morality. Edited by Heath Thomas, Paul Copan, and Jeremy Evans. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- “A Neglected Witness to Holy War in the Writings.” Pages 68-83. In Holy War in the Bible: Christian Morality and an Old Testament Problem. Edited by Heath Thomas, Paul Copan, and Jeremy Evans. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- “The Old Testament, ‘Holy War,’ and Christian Morality.” Pages 22-25. In How and Why we should Read the Old Testament for Public Life Today. Comment Magazine Special Series. Edited by Ryan P. O’Dowd. Hamilton, Canada: Cardus, 2011. Online version downloadable at: http://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/2991/ .
- Heath A. Thomas and Jeremy Evans, “Afterword: Old Testament ‘Holy War’ and Christian Morality – Where do we Go from Here?” Pages 332-39. In Holy War in the Bible: Christian Morality and an Old Testament Problem. Edited by Heath Thomas, Paul Copan, and Jeremy Evans. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- “Zion.” In Dictionary for the Old Testament: Prophets. Edited by J.G. McConville & M. Boda. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2012.
- “Suffering.” In Dictionary for the Old Testament: Prophets. Edited by J.G. McConville & M. Boda. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2012.
Various Reviews in European Journal of Theology, Southeastern Theological Review, Theology and Bulletin for Biblical Research.
Lament, relationship between faith & law, Jewish and Christian conceptions of law; Lamentations, Habakkuk, the Twelve, Job, and the Psalter. Hebrew poetry, and Old Testament literature of the exilic period. I aim to relate the implications of the Hebrew lament tradition to a Christian theology of suffering.
- Overseas Research Student Award, Presented by Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of the Universities of the United Kingdom, 2004—2007
- Dame Janet Trotter Trust Award (Bursary) for the University of Gloucestershire, 2005.
Fellow in Old Testament, The Paideia Centre for Public Theology (Ontario, Canada)
Editor, Southeastern Theological Review
Committee Member, Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar
Steering Committee, Old Testament Theology Group, ETS
Society of Biblical Literature
Scripture and Hermeneutics Seminar
Institute for Biblical Research
Evangelical Theological Society
| DMN8151||Min Proj & Proj Rep Writing I|
| DMN8152||Min Proj & Proj Rep Writing II|
| DMN8151||Min Proj & Proj Rep Writing I|
| DMN8152||Min Proj & Proj Rep Writing II|
| OTS3800||Old Testament Book Study: MINOR PROPHETS|
| OTS5120||Old TestamentII:Latter Proph/Hagiographa|
| OTS6520||Post Reformation Interpretation/OT|
| OTS6800||Old Testament Book Study: MINOR PROPHETS|
| OTS9201||Reading Seminar I|
| PHD9101||Introduction to Research & Integration|
| HEB3500||Biblical Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis|
| HEB6500||Biblical Hebrew Syntax and Exegesis|
| OTS0510||Intro to OT Interpretation- SUMMIT|
Return to Faculty List