Merkle, Benjamin Lee|
Professor of New Testament and Greek
Discipline: New Testament
Area: Biblical Studies
Teaching Since: 2008
Click here to view this professor's Curriculum Vitae
B.R.E., Reformed Bible College
M.Div., Westminster Theological Seminary (California)
Ph.D., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Merkle, Benjamin L. The Elder and Overseer: One Office in the Early Church. New York: Peter Lang, 2003.
- ________. 40 Questions about Elders and Deacons. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2008.
- ________. Why Elders? 4 Reasons Every Church Should Have Elders. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2009. (forthcoming)
- ________, ed. 40 Questions about Understanding God’s Word by Robert L. Plummer. Grand Rapids: Kregel. (forthcoming)
- ________, ed. 40 Questions about the Law by Thomas R. Schreiner. Grand Rapids: Kregel. (forthcoming)
- Hammett, John S. and Benjamin L. Merkle, eds. Those Who Must Give an Account: A Study of Church Membership and Church Discipline. Nashville: B&H (forthcoming).
- Merkle, Benjamin L. “Romans 11 and the Future of Ethnic Israel.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 43.4 (2000): 709-21.
- ________. “Implications for Missions from Paul’s Ministry in 1 Corinthians.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 6.3 (2002): 30-43.
- ________. “Hierarchy in the Church? Instruction from the Pastoral Epistles concerning Elders and Overseers.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 7.3 (2003): 32-43.
- ________. “Could Jesus Return at Any Moment? Rethinking the Imminence of the Second Coming” Trinity Journal 26 (2005): 279-292.
- ________. “The Need for Theological Education in Missions: Lessons Learned from the Church’s Greatest Missionary.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 9.4 (2005): 50-61.
- ________. “Paul’s Arguments from Creation in 1 Corinthians 11:8-9 and 1 Timothy 2:13-14: An Apparent Inconsistency Answered.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 49.3 (2006): 527-48.
- ________. “Is Romans Really the Greatest Letter Ever Written? The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 11.3 (2007): 18-32.
- ________. “Old Testament Restoration Promises Regarding the Nation of Israel: Literal or Symbolic.” The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology 13.4 (2009): (forthcoming).
- ________. “Who Will Be Left Behind? Rethinking the Meaning of Matthew 24:40-41 and Luke 17:34-35.” Westminster Theological Journal. (forthcoming)
- ________. “Ecclesiology in the Pastoral Epistles.” In Entrusted with the Gospel: Paul’s Theology in the Pastoral Epistles. Edited by Terry L. Wilder and Andreas J. Köstenberger. Broadman & Holman. (forthcoming)
Evangelical Theological Society
| EVA3720||Pract/Inter.Evang: SE ASIA|
| EVA6991||Pract/Int.Evang: SE ASIA|
| NTS5110||New Testament I - ONLINE|
| BTI6500||Methods and Issues in Biblical Interpret|
| GRK2610||Biblical Greek I - HYBRID|
| GRK3610||Greek Syntax and Exegesis I|
| GRK5110||Biblical Greek I - HYBRID|
| GRK6000||Greek Exegesis: Pastoral Epistles|
| GRK6500||Greek Syntax and Exegesis|
Return to Faculty List